Friday, September 21, 2012

So much good.

Hey y'all.

Today has been an extremely stressful day, but it's really been a great day.

Another picture of Lille for your viewing pleasure. Just check out those Lillois. How fun is that? People from Lille are called Lillois. So I'm Sarah the Lilloise (pronounced leel-waaaaz.) And while we're talking about pronunciation, when I'm at places like the bank, rental agency, phone store, etc, I've noticed that I've started pronouncing my name differently so they'll have a better chance of spelling it correctly. I normally go with something like Son-tair. I'm embarrassed.


Things I accomplished today
1. Opened a French bank account.
2. Bought a sim card for my sweet French flip phone. Y'all don't even know.
3. Got my luggage.
4. FOUND A HOME.

First things first, opening a French bank account was super facile. Took about 20 minutes. Not stressful at all. The sim card was super easy as well.

So we went to the  agency that had the apartment we really wanted and here is the best news I've had in some time: As soon as our rent money is wired to their account, they'll give us the keys! So theoretically, we could be moving in on Tuesday or Wednesday! SO SO excited to have a home. I was dreading finding/paying for/living in a hotel room for three weeks, just so I could move my luggage AGAIN. We paid our deposit and agency fee, so it seems like we're all set. Cannot wait to move in and actually get into a semi-routine. Here's a street view:



This afternoon I walked to the post office about 1/2 a mile from my house to pick up my luggage. They had tried to deliver it the day before but neither of us were here. So I went to get it and then take it back to Sarah's apartment. The lady at the post office brought my suitcase out from the back, and oddly enough, they had wrapped it in plastic. So I got to wheel this puppy down a major street in Lille. That was fun.


I for sure blended in with the locals. But guess who now has a coat and more than one sweater to wear. Me.

Also on the list of great things I did today - got to talk on the phone with my dad. Made my day. First verbal communication I've had with the fam since I've been here.

Walked around a little tonight and found a cathedral. Pretty cool. I'm sure I'll go back and go inside sometime.

Here's a picture I took tonight of Vieux Lille, the older part of the city. It's so neat and full of small little cobblestone streets. I'll take better pictures soon with something other than my iphone.



Well, it's 10:10pm here on a Friday night. Still can't shake my exhaustion. Time for sleep.

Luv,
Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment