Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ain't nobody got time for that

Hey y'all,

I'm going to preface this post by saying how many random things I will talk about.

For starters, this week has been a linguistic land mine for me.

1. Vous me cassez les pieds - I love being in France because I can learn all kinds of fun idioms (as well as vocabulary) that I wouldn't necessarily learn in a classroom. This literally means 'you are breaking my legs.' The figurative translation is 'you're bothering me/driving me crazy/being ridiculous.' The kids were a tad out of control in one of my classes with Sarah earlier this week and she said that over and over. Interesting.

2. I don't know if y'all are aware, but I adore using the acronym NBD ('no big deal' for those of you that are out of the loop.) I learned this week from one of my students that there's a similar acronym in French. C'est pas grave is essentially how you would say 'no big deal' in French, and the acronym that goes with that is CPG. I'm going to start using this all day everyday. Sorry I'm not sorry, France.

Reasons why I love France:

1. It's is almost 1pm here on Thursday and it's officially the weekend for me. I normally work at both schools on Thursdays, but the English teachers at my second school aren't working today because they're en grève (on strike) and are participating in a manifestation (protest.) So, I went to one of my schools this morning, but have the afternoon free because of that. Oh how wonderful.

2. In approximately two weeks, the French government will be rewarding me, as well as all other teachers and students, with two weeks of (paid) vacation. HOLLA. My parents are coming to visit me and we're going to get wild in Brussels, Lille, and then possibly Amsterdam! Cannot wait to have them over here. Plus, last night I booked tickets with Emily to go to Barcelona. Si! Si! Si! I've never been to Spain and I'm so excited.

Vive la France.

 For one of my classes, I take out about 10 students and we play games to work on their English. Today, I had to send a kid out of my class because he wouldn't stop talking and wasn't paying attention at all. I told him 2-3 times to stop and he would for about 10 seconds and then just start it up again. Finally, I was just like, 'ok go back to class, NOW' (in French, obvi) - accompanied by my most serious Senter stare/glare (learned from the best.) He was not a happy camper, but honestly, if you're 10 years old, you should know how to behave in class. He was being such a little pain. If I had been thinking straight, I would've said "Tu me casses les pieds!" Oh well. Next time. Had to send him out, because honestly ain't nobody got time for that.

Happy Thursday.

Luv,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment