Thursday, May 30, 2013

Beffrois de Lille

Hey y'all,

Lille has two belfries. One in Place du Général de Gaulle and one next to the Hôtel de Ville (which is basically the mayor's office.)

This is the first one


This is the second one



I think the first one is much prettier than the second one, plus it's much more centrally located. I recently found out that you can climb up the second beffroi, so of course I was all up on that.

We went last Saturday and I really enjoyed it. It took about 15 minutes to go up the steps. There were 4-5 places on the way up where you could stop and read some of the history of the city and surrounding area.

Here are a few pictures I snapped while up there.

On one of the steps, they had a quote from Victor Hugo that says "The horizon underlines infinity.'

Y'all know how I feel about nice clouds...



Right next to the belfry is the Porte de Paris - essentially just a pretty arch and roundabout.


You can see the other belfry in the picture below.


Later that night, there was a concert called Rock'n'Lille in Place de la République, just around the corner from where I live. Basically, there was a rock band in front of the fine art museum and people where doing some sort of swing to it. Pretty fun to watch. I wish it had been a little warmer though.

Don't forget!
- Check out my post entitled "Little Message"! 
- Check out my personal page for the Chicago Marathon and consider helping me reach my fundraising goal! 136 days until the big day! 

See y'all soon

Luv,
Sarah 


No comments:

Post a Comment