Thursday, May 2, 2013

Galway

Hey y'all,

Sorry I'm a little late with the post on Galway. Here's a song about a Galway girl to listen to while reading.

Anyways, we took a bus to Galway - it took about 2.5 hours. Galway is on the exact opposite side of Ireland. The roundtrip bus only cost about 18 euros, so that was phenomenally cheap. If you look, Dublin is in the middle on the eastern coast of Ireland and then straight across to the other side is Galway.


Galway was nice, but very small. We originally planned to be there for 5 hours...but after three hours we were bored and so we hopped an earlier bus back. Regardless, I was glad we went. 


Our lunch was magical. We went to a little pub and lo and behold they had veggie wraps. I almost died of happiness. It was the best meal I've had in ages. Roasted vegetables and hummus on a wrap. Oh my word. 

Here are a few shots of the streets of Galway. It was really colorful and full of musicians on the streets, which I really liked. There was a pedestrian area made up of about three streets.







On the edge of town there's a river and boy was the water running fast. Oof. There were life savers all around the water in case anyone fell in, which I guess must happen a lot. 


Here are the shores of Galway. As you can see, it was an overcast day, but I think that's typical Irish weather. It didn't bother me too much. I've become rather accustomed to awful weather. Hey, in the words of the great K. Clarkson - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

Truth.


You could walk along the river in order to see the St Catherine's Cathedral.

This isn't the cathedral. It's just a building I thought was pretty. I think it's some kind of administrative building. 




This cathedral was unlike any other that I had seen. I loved the stone and the green tin at the top. 


Here's a picture of it from the river walk. 




Heres the inside of the church. It was a lot lighter and warmer than the majority of the cathedrals I'd seen in France. 


Finally, Emily and I both bought Claddagh rings. Galway is the region where the claddagh rings originate from, so it's fun to say that we got them there as opposed to Dublin. The hands represent friendship, the heart represents love, and the crown represents loyalty. Rings like these date back to the 17th century, according to wikipedia. Legit. 


Love it. Such a cool souvenir to have from Ireland. 

When we got back to Dublin, we did a little more sightseeing and then finished off the night at a pub with a Guinness in hand. Delicious. I've been converted. 

There's live music in just about every pub in Dublin all day long, so we were glad to get in some more live music before leaving. 

Here's a quick vid of my favorite part of American Pie. I'm just going to put it out there right now that none of the voices singing in this video are mine. Some of the irishmen had had a little too much to drink and their singing voices took a hit. 

When in Rome. 


Luv,
Sarah 


No comments:

Post a Comment