Thursday, October 11, 2012

Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Hey yall,


So there have been two times in the past 24 hours when I have really felt like I'm a real Lilloise. Yesterday, Emily and I went into a boulangerie around the corner from our apartment and got the same sandwich that we had ordered a couple times already - a camembert sandwich. Aka heaven. Before we could even order, the shop owner called out "deux sandwiches avec camembert?", and we obviously confirmed. When we left, instead of saying "au revoir" (goodbye), he said "à bientôt", meaning "see you soon". A subtle linguistic difference, but it meant a lot to us. We'll definitely go back.

Today when I had my two hours downtime between working at my two schools, I stopped at the café that I've been going to recently. I sat down, took off my coat, and the woman behind them bar asked me "Un café, mademoiselle?" Again, I loved it. Couldn't hide my smile as I sat there and did the sudoku in the paper.

It's fun that people are starting to recognize me. Makes this place feel a little more like home. Also, major kudos to you if you can name the Bill Murray movie that the picture above is from.

However, at one of my schools, there was a situation that made me feel less like a local - but at least it was pretty funny. I was sitting in the teacher's lounge and someone poured me and another teacher a cup of coffee. I took a sip and thought it was really tasty coffee. The teacher next to me responded "oh this is such bad coffee." As soon as he said that, I of course wrinkled my nose and made it seem like I didn't think the coffee was good either. It reminded me of this clip from Friends.  (I'd be Ross.) Oh well. I guess our coffee standards are a little different.

Today was officially my last day of observations. Monday I get to really jump into teaching. I'm definitely excited about that.

Since I don't have class on Fridays, it's officially the weekend for me. I don't have too much planned. I might go over to one of my schools on Saturday. They do this activity where they invite all the younger kids to school with their parents and they do a cultural cooking class. Saturday is English culture and they're cooking fish and chips. It could be fun and it'd be an excuse for a free meal. Except I'm vegetarian. So an excuse for some free fries.

Sunday I'm going running with one of the teachers at my school's running club. She said we're going to "la campagne" (the country) to run, so I really have no idea where we're going, but I'm looking forward to going with a big group. She said she'd pick me up at the metro stop and give me a ride there. Should be interesting. I think she really wants me to join the running club, but we'll see how much I like it on Sunday.

Also. I was featured in a Greensboro running blog. Check it out! Celeb status.

Hope all is well at home.

Luv,
Sarah

P.S. The picture is from "What about Bob?"


No comments:

Post a Comment