Friday, October 5, 2012

TGIF

Hey yall,

So today has been a really good day. My package from home today and it was full of so much goodness. Peanut butter, kashi, peppermints, tic tacs, my peacoat, my rainboots, sandwich thins, racing gu, and cheese crackers. So so great. Made my week.

In case anyone was wondering, I made it out of the laundromat alive, and I don't think I shrunk any of my clothing. I haven't put any of my clean clothing on yet, so you never know, but things looked good.

Emily and I went and bought our return train tickets from Brussels to Lille, and per my cousin Leonard's request, I took some pictures around town. I need to have a day where I just walk around a take pictures of everything. Here are a few from this evening.

There are two train stations in Lille and they're right next to each other. I'm not really sure why there are two, but oh well. More traveling options. There's Gare Lille Europe and Gare Lille Flandres.


We ate dinner near the train station and I took a few pictures of the surrounding area.





There's a lot of excitement in Lille today because tomorrow is the first day of a big exposition called "Fantastic." We're still struggling to figure out what exactly this is but there are posters for it all around town. There's apparently going to be a really big parade tomorrow night with tons and tons of people. They only do this every 2-3 years, so a lot of people are expected to turn out. They've covered one of the main boulevards, Rue de Paris, with lights and so it should be really neat. There were tons of reporters and tv crews out tonight, filming as they lit the lights. I've got my fingers crossed, because there have been rumors of "feux d'artifice"(fireworks!) I love fireworks. These pictures were post-dinner, so that's why they're a little darker.


The whole boulevard is lined with lights at the top, and then in the center is this big dome-like lighted area. Gorgeous.


The parade leads up to where the opera house is located - right next to the Grand Place, where there will supposedly be a dj and dance floor. Here's a picture of the opera. You can't see all of the pretty details because of the lighting, but I thought it looked nice lit up.



I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night. It should be a lot of fun, although I can't stay up too late because I've got to catch that 5am bus for Brussels on Sunday!  Dad's running a half in Greensboro tomorrow, and then 18 hours later (and halfway across the world), I'm running a half in Brussels. Like father like daughter. 

Miss yall.

Luv,
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment