Friday, October 19, 2012

"United Steaks of America"

Hey y'all,

So it is Friday and officially the weekend. What am I doing this weekend? Obviously getting wild and crazy. Just kidding. Teaching is exhausting and I plan to relax all weekend. Here's a couple pictures I took while running this morning. Can't even begin to describe how being able to run here has kept me sane.





Funny moment of the week. In one of my classes, the students were working on saying "United States of America" and so we went through the class and every student had to repeat it. One student said "United Steaks of America"...after which the actual French teacher said "Bravo!" Oh man, y'all. I had to hold in so much laughter. Then they practiced saying Barack Obama. That's a tough name for most Americans, much less people learning English as a second or third language. The hard English "r" is tough for them, so most just said "Ba-wock". 'A' for effort, kids. I was reading an article yesterday about the debate and it said that over 80% of French people wanted Obama to win the election. I figured a large majority would, but 80% was shocking.

Speaking of politics. I emailed my absentee ballot in last night. Meaning, if I voted from 4,063 miles away, you have no excuse for not voting. Do it, folks.

I feel like we do the exact same thing in every single one of my classes, regardless of the level. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. They have 30-45 minute English classes once (twice if they're lucky) a week, and so I think that in middle school is when they really start learning more languages.

I've sung SO many versions of "One, two, buckle my shoe" with the students. Every single class has a different version. It's pretty ridiculous. I've heard "Nine, ten, take a pen", "Nine, ten, big fat hen" (my fave), "Nine, ten, start again" and one more that I can't think of right now. Regardless of age, the students love singing, so I'll take it. And boy are they not afraid to BELT IT. I love it. Their enthusiasm is really encouraging as a teacher.

On another positive note, almost all of the bureaucratic nonsense is DONEZO. I've filled out so much paperwork in the last month, it's not even funny. (Also - I've been here over a month! How insane is that?)

I have two final things I'm waiting on:

1. My landlord to fill out a housing subsidy that the French government grants poor people. Aka me. No shame though. I'll take what I can get! Even if they gave me 50 euro off of my rent, that would be incredible.

2. My credit/debit card to come! Can't wait to get that one. I guess. I'm looking forward to getting it, but not looking forward to my bank account saying zero! We don't get paid until next Friday, I believe. So for about two days it'll have money. Then I have to pay for rent, utilities, and buy food. I'm guessing it'll be back around zero. Being a real-life adult sure is interesting. Honestly can't say I'm hurting though. I'm living in France, having the time of my life - and I just happen to be eating a lot of couscous, rice and frozen veggies- which for the record are all délicieux. I'd say life sure is good.

ALSO - Emily and I have been SO good this week about only eating at home. I spent 26 euro on groceries last Sunday and have eaten every single meal at my apartment (or packed a lunch for school) this week. Incredible how much money that saves. Plus, I can make exactly what I want to eat and don't have to worry about any viande (meat) showing up in my sandwiches.

That being said, I found two ways to make some extra cash!
This afternoon I'm heading to one of the other teachers at my school's house to tutor her daughter in English for a couple hours.
AND here's the big one. I got a babysitting job on Monday afternoons from 4:30ish to 6:30 and then Wednesday from 1ish to 7ish. The president of the American Club in Lille came to one of our orientations to give us some info on the group and said she was looking for a babysitter so I shot her an email and VOILA. I'll be starting next week. Holla.

It was rainy on Wednesday, so Emily and I found a cute little place to get a cup of café. We went up stairs where they had more seating and looked out onto the Grand Place. Not too shabby.



I've got to head out now. Sorry for being so long-winded.

Miss y'all. (I'll be home for Christmas in 2 months, 2 days, and 23 hours).

Luv,
Sarah

P.S. I almost forgot. DAD AND I ARE OFFICIALLY REGISTERED FOR THE PARIS MARATHON. THIS WILL BE US ON APRIL 7TH.




No comments:

Post a Comment