Monday, October 15, 2012

It's the little things

Hey yall,

So I've had a really great last few days. It's the little things in life that I've learned to appreciate while over here.

1. I had a really good time running with the club yesterday. There were, however, only three of us. We ran SO slow and only made it up to about 8.5 miles (I was expecting at least 10). I did enjoy just chatting with them while running. They were really nice.

2. After running, Emily and I went and walked around because it was such a nice day. I mentioned "Ch'ti" in my last post, well here's an example of a ch'ti pun. Had to snap a photo for yall. People are super into frites (fries) here. This was just a little fry stand on the side of the street. Made me laugh.


3. Vieux Lille is just so pretty. Walked around for about an hour and then got a coffee and watched the world go by for at least another hour. Solid Sunday afternoon.



4. Today was my first day of officially teaching. During recreation, two girls came up and kissed me on the cheek and then just  walked away. I love being a celebrity. In one of the lower levels, we sang "Ten little Indians" and "One two, buckle my shoe..." to help them learn their numbers. So cute.

5. In the higher level (4th grade, I think), the kiddos asked me if I had any sisters. I told them no, but that I had two older brothers! And then they repeated the names David and Stephen (with the American pronunciation, obvi.) They enjoyed saying their names that way instead of Dah-veeeeeed and Steh-faaaan. And I of course loved talking about them in class. I for sure miss these jokers. I can't wait until we start using career vocabulary, so I can talk about them more and teach the students words like "lawyer" and "biologist".



6. Speaking of jokers, I got to skype with these cool folks yesterday. Made my week. First substantial skype sesh I've had with both of them.


7. And OH MY GOSH, YALL. We bought a coffee maker. Incredible doesn't even begin to describe it. Probably the best 12 euro I've ever spent in my life.


Like I said, you've got to appreciate the little things in life.

Miss yall.

Luv,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment