Monday, October 1, 2012

Lazy weekend

hey y'all.

I had the most chill weekend possible. I really didn't do a whole lot except for sleep and walk around. It was much needed though. I had been so tired of running around from place to place. The highlight of my weekend included a beautiful ten-miler around la Citadelle and then an amazing dinner at the French equivalent of a Moe's/Chipotle, called Taco Memo. No idea what "memo" means, but it was delicious. It wasn't quite as good as Moe's, but for it to be in France, it was fantastic. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will probably make our way back there sometime. It was only about a 10 minute walk from our apartment, so it's perfect. Also. Great news. I found reasonably priced guacamole in the grocery store here. Doesn't get much better than that.

We had dinner Friday night with the two girls from downstairs and they were so friendly. They made us dinner and dessert which were both really good. For dinner we had some kind of pasta and then dessert was a brownie with apple compote. Yum. I think French dinners are supposed to last really long because we got there at 8:15 and didn't leave until about 11pm. It was fun just chatting with them about life, especially the differences in America and France. They were enamored with the idea of high school prom (apparently they don't have that here) and were shocked by how much we had spent on private education. Apparently in France, the most expensive private university is 10,000 euro per year.  Whattttt? That's insane. We really did enjoy our time with them though. They're 21 and both in intensive Masters programs at one of the universities in Lille, so I think they spend a ton of time doing work and studying. They gave us some tips on where to go to eat and such.We hope to invite them up to our apartment for dinner sometime in the near future.

I decided to bite the bullet and make the day trip to Brussels next weekend to run in a half marathon. I'm so so excited. I couldn't find a free place to stay on Saturday night, so my plan is to take a 5am bus (OUCH) to Brussels on Sunday morning. I emailed the race admins and they said that the race participant number wouldn't be capped, so people could still register the day of. The race doesn't start until 10:30am, so I'll have plenty of time. The race begins at the Parc du Cinquantenaire (we get to run through the arches!):


The finish line will be in the Grand Place of Brussels which will also be really neat.

I've read that it's a pretty hilly race, but I'm so excited. Emily is going to go with me and we're going to sightsee after the race! I've been to Brussels before, but she hasn't. Should definitely be a fun experience.

Tomorrow I head to my schools for observations and Wednesday we have an orientation for all of the teachers in the Lille region. Should be a busy but exciting next few days!

Luv,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment